Somewhere about the 2pm mark yesterday , A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) and Alliance For Change (AFC) Parliamentarians in a special meeting with House Speaker Raphael Trotman and other Parliament officers, met in the Chambers of the Public Buildings (Parliament) to collectively denounce, with outrage, the decision of President Donald Ramotar to prorogue a Sitting of the 10th Parliament.
The President in a midday Address to the Nation announced his intention to suspend the National Assembly (for an indefinite period not exceeding six months) following the threats from the Combined Opposition of a No Confidence Motion against his Government.
In that meeting of the Speaker and Opposition MPs, here is what transpired.
Speakers list include, in order of:
1. Speaker of the National Assembly, Raphael Trotman
2. Leader of the Opposition, Brig. (Rt’d) David Granger
3. Alliances For Change (AFC) Parliamentarian, Moses Nagamootoo
4. A Partnership For National Unity (APNU) Parliamentarian, Carl Greenidge
5. Alliance For Change (AFC) Parliamentarian, Khemraj Ramjattan
6. Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly, Basil Williams
7. Speaker of the National Assembly, Raphael Trotman